Position Summary: The Purchasing Specialist is responsible for sourcing the best quality seafood from around the world, at a competitive price point and maintaining the company’s inventory position. This position is responsible for building relationships with suppliers and staying up to date on current industry trends. This position is responsible for owning all facets of sourcing, supplier relationships, material forecasting, and purchasing.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
· Research, analyze, and forecast current and future buying needs and market trends.
· Maintain supplier relationships and ensure performance is adequate to support the inventory needs of the company.
· Perform periodic audits on purchase prices and company contracts in comparison to market prices.
· At the direction of the VP of Procurement & Sales, work with production, shipping & receiving, and QA to resolve product issues relative to quality and quantity of product.
· Act as liaison with suppliers about specific product and shipment issues.
· Travel to suppliers to examine operations and products.
· Work to facilitate resolution of supplier and customer issues.
· Negotiate supplier pricing based upon purchasing variables such as frequency, quantities, capacity, market conditions, etc.
· Establish relationships with suppliers critical to company to partner on strategy development and drive productivity, innovation, and continuous improvement.
· Manage supply base to ensure supply continuity, service, and quality.
· Keep abreast of changing trends in prices or availability of products and recommend necessary action to ensure a continued flow to meet production and sales requirements.
· Responsible for understanding sources of all our incoming raw materials and finished products, as well as ensuring receipt of documentation to ensure accurate inventory reporting and traceability.
· Continually look for process improvements in the purchasing function that will contribute to increasing operating efficiencies and profitability while insuring reliability and achievement of product quality standards.
· Responsible for getting new and additional information from suppliers and tracking this information.
· Ability to think outside the box and create new systems or revise established procedures.
· Attend conferences and meetings related to industry trends, innovations, and education.
· Company runs 24/7 so will have to respond to calls off-hours as needed.
· Assist with special projects as assigned.
· Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Skills:
· Bachelor's Degree in Business or a related field.
· This position must be able to travel locally and internationally on short notice as required for standard business purposes.
· Possession of a valid driver's license.
· Flexible schedule, with possibility of nights and weekends.
· Knowledge of logistics and international shipping.
· Must be a goal-oriented, persuasive, self-starter, self-motivated, and independent worker.
· Must be able to work well under pressure and be efficient in meeting deadlines.
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
· Strong analytical thinker with problem-solving skills.
· SAP experience or willing to learn SAP.
· Possess the ability to work in a dynamic, team-oriented environment and maintain effective liaison with suppliers & teammates alike.
· Position requires negotiation, forecasting, advanced analytical skills, and strong communication skills.