Position Summary: The Purchasing Assistant is responsible for supporting the VP of Procurement & Sales with securing materials for the company. Duties include the need to understand company needs based on inventory, production schedules, projects, and plans, as well as the understanding of general sales and market trends.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
· Monitor inbound volume and identify purchasing needs.
· Daily purchases of specific products to maintain inventory.
· Research and visit potential suppliers.
· Liaise with accounting team to ensure accuracy of transactions.
· Update internal databases with order details (dates, vendors, quantities).
· Track orders and ensure timely delivery.
· Conduct market research to identify pricing trends.
· Maintain updated records of invoices and contracts.
· Follow up with suppliers, as needed, to confirm or change orders.
· Work with receiving departments to help identify species and products as well as track where fish is coming in from and what kind of fish it is.
· Work with receiving departments to confirm that orders have been filled correctly and that goods meet specifications.
· Maintain knowledge of all organizational and governmental rules affecting purchases and provide information about these rules to organization staff members and to vendors.
· Onboard new suppliers through the new supplier approval process.
· Responsible for consolidating new information from suppliers.
· Gather and present information to management and production teams.
· Assist with special projects as assigned.
· Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Skills:
· Comfortable making cold calls.
· Possession of a valid driver's license.
· Goal oriented, self-motivated, confident, thick skinned, thorough, and tenacious.
· Excellent communication skills (interpersonal/verbal/written).
· Basic understanding of accounting practices.
· Knowledge or interest in manufacturing and logistics.
· This position must be able to travel locally and internationally on short notice as required for standard business purposes.